These are storebought Carter's onsies (the same my kiddos used to wear, *sniff*). My fav is this camera onsie-- My nephew's dad is a fantastic photographer so I knew it would be appreciated. The camera applique pattern is from lil blue boo. And then I just hand embroidered the 'straps' on so dad and baby can match.
No tutorial, but I do have a few tips:
- you can find tons of free applique templates, and also create your own using a word processing program.
- The best applique tutorial I found were from Sew Like My Mom. Scroll down to the bottom for her index of applique tutorials. She goes through everything from making the pattern to how to sew around curves.
- Use a ballpoint needle! I had a ton of skipped stitches even with a universal needle.
- I used Pellon's xtreme stretch fusible to back each of the appliques so the applique wasn't scratchy against baby's skin. I love that the fused area feels just as pliable as the rest of the knit tee.
- Don't have a lot of cute scraps? You can always purchase a scrap bag in a girl or boy colorway to get a bunch of different prints for cheap!
What about you all? love applique? hate it? any tips for my next attempt?